Our School » Our History

Our History

A Brief History of the Sunflower School!

The first school in Cawston was a one room building built between 1916 and 1921.

The Cawston Primary School was built on our present location in 1951. At that time there were four rooms. In 1957 a small gym was added and in 1966 the library and kindergarten portables were added.. In 1970 these portables were put on foundations and two new classrooms were added.

In 1992 we had a newly renovated and modern school. A large covered play area, computer lab, full sized library, 3 new classrooms, a multipurpose room, resource rooms and offices were added to our 'little' school. In 2009, a Strong Start Center, located in a portable outside the Kindergarten Room, became our latest addition.

We presently have 190 students attending our school from an area that reaches from west of Hedley, several miles east of Olalla, and to the U.S. border on both sides of the river.